Belgian Earth Observation Research Programmes
Belgian Earth Observation capacity building supported by national research
The analysis of the national, European and international contexts where various
entities are active in the field of the environment and sustainable development,
the assessment of the most recent technological developments in earth observation
capacity and the development of products and services: these are the factors that
provide a means of identifying the challenges and opportunities that should act as
a guide for Belgian earth observation research activities.
The accumulated efforts over the last 15 years have contributed to the:
- development of national scientific and technical expertise as regards techniques for
the processing of satellite data;
- market development of satellite data applications;
- development of user support services (information, purchasing and archiving of data);
- initiation of promotion and valorisation actions aimed at various target groups.
Against a background of increasing demand for geo-information and constantly evolving space technology,
the continuation of a national programme should contribute to the further development and promotion of
an operational, sustainable and competitive observation capacity.
In addition, efforts are being made to make the best possible use of information originating from space
systems in order to:
- maximise the return on Belgian investment;
- reinforce Belgium’s role in international actions with regard to the environment, sustainable
development and safety