The Data User Element (DUE) is a programmatic component of the Earth Observation Envelope Programme, an optional programme of the European Space Agency that is currently subscribed to by 14 Member States (Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom). A number of rules have been established in order to fulfil the three DUE objectives stated above. In particular, any DUE project must:
- respond to clear end-user needs;
- commit 'identified' end-users as active partners of the project build on already established research results;
- develop information products using EO data as one of the inputs;
- demonstrate service provision as a real operational test case for the user;
- lead to a sustainable service in the short term;
- be innovative.