To stimulate the interest of a broad users community to the potential of the VEGETATION system and to prepare the users to efficiently integrate VEGETATION data into their own projects.
This programme is dedicated to some actions to support developments related to the specific characteristics of the VEGETATION system. Specific fields have been defined as priorities for the investigations:
- support for development or adaptation of applications or scientific projects using VEGETATION type data
- to better evaluate the impact of the use of VEGETATION on the quality and operationality of the projects
- and to prepare the integration of VEGETATION products into the systems and procedures which contribute to the objectives of these projects.
A high priority is given to investigations which are related to the sectorial policies of the European Union, and to activities, both for application and for science, which are supported either by the European Commission or by the partners of the programme.
- development of methodologies for the use of remote sensing data, exclusively where the specific characteristics of VEGETATION can offer new capabilities or imply research and development activities to improve the quality of informations which can be extracted from the VEGETATION products.
The topics which are priorities for selection are the following :
- multiscale analysis using simultaneous or asynchronous high spatial resolution data and possibly ground sampling techniques,
- multitemporal analysis related to the dynamics of the surface processes, physical and biophysical parameters extraction.
- definition of improved products that could be generated by the VEGETATION Ground segment making full use of the specific characteristics : capability to improve the standard VEGETATION products is a specification for the entire system and should be possible with a frequency of every 18 months or two years; while the first set of products is now defined and should be kept for development efficiency, minor modifications might be considered and definition of evolution for the first update is expected from some investigations.