The following research themes were addressed:
- Agriculture and forestry: agrohydrology; agrarian information system; production of agricultural crops and plant pathology of crops; forest classification, wood production and phytosanitary condition of forests.
- Land-use planning and cartography: development and application of cartographic methods; urban development; landscape typology.
- Aspects proper to developing countries: agro-pastoral systems in regions with environmental deterioration; cities and urban areas in developing countries; desertification process (soil dynamics and geomorphology, types of vegetation and their development).
- Geological prospecting: determination of rocks and ore formations.
- Development of scientific instruments: infrared spectrometer and software for image processing.
- Atmospheric research: monitoring of forecast and actual evaporation via satellite data.
- Pilot project ERS-1: hyperfrequency and soil moisture; agricultural crops and land use inventory; beach dynamics in correlation with marine meteorological data.