Within the EUMETSAT Climate Services team of the User Support and Climate Services Division, the Climate Product Expert will lead the development and validation of climate datasets, including those delivered in support of the Copernicus Climate Change Service (C3S). This includes the optimisation and cross-calibration of cross-programme satellite data and the derivation of geophysical products, including the provision of meaningful uncertainty estimates. This will be accompanied by conducting comprehensive quality analyses of datasets and providing accurate and user-friendly documentation. He/she will also support the development of the EUMETSAT climate data product portfolio.
The Climate Services team consists of staff with a wide range of expertise from climate applications of Earth Observation data to informatics that produce climate data efficiently. The team uses the latest technologies that can be applied to cloud/bulk data processing systems to generate and validate the datasets. The team also supports the further development of these systems. Joining EUMETSAT in this role offers a unique opportunity to develop a professional career in a highly motivating environment.
The main duties of the post will be as follows:
- Lead a group of expert staff tasked to develop the climate data records including management of activities and resources and reporting to the Climate Service & Product Manager;
- Provide management support to the Climate Service & Product Manager, including deputising for the management of EUMETSAT’s support to the Copernicus Climate Change Service (C3S);
- Coordinate the annual update of EUMETSAT’s Climate Service Development Plan;
- Perform scientific analysis of climate data records with radiative transfer simulations (and other means) for data from different instruments measuring in the visible, infrared and microwave spectral range to determine structure and source of errors;
- Assessment of data assimilation readiness for data records in support to the Copernicus Climate Change Service;
- Engagement in satellite data rescue activities including assessing the usability of historical data;
- Support to the implementation of all developed methods in the EUMETSAT operational environment and systems;
- Compilation of relevant scientific and technical documentation as well as peer reviewed scientific publications;
- Compilation of presentations and reports for reporting to C3S and participation in C3S progress meetings, as required.