Deadline in 2 days
Organisation: Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences (RBINS)
The Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences is recruiting one Earth Observation Researcher (m/v/x) for a contract of fixed duration until December 2022.
The person will work in the REMSEM (Remote Sensing and Ecosystem Monitoring) team in the Operational Directorate Natural Environment (OD Nature) of RBINS. He/she will work on projects in the field of operational ocean colour satellite data services including the development of processing chains, cloud processing, data cube systems, product quality control and ocean colour algorithm development. The REMSEM team uses satellite data to measure parameters of environmental relevance such as the concentrations of chlorophyll a (phytoplankton) and suspended sediments in marine environments. A description of our remote sensing activities can be found at http://odnature.naturalsciences.be/remsem/.
The main tasks include:
- Development of ocean colour satellite applications that enable data access, data visualisation and data processing.
- Development of new algorithms and implementation of data cube systems (https://xcube.readthedocs.io/en/latest/) for efficient data analysis.
- Investigate potential of Machine Learning techniques in ocean colour applications.
- Setting up and maintain a cloud processing infrastructure (e.g. CREODIAS).
- Work in a small productive team in cooperation with partners from other European countries.
- Writing technical documentation and scientific publications
- Presentation of results in English