About the organisation
The Institute of Bio- and Geosciences - Agrosphere (IBG-3) conducts research to improve our understanding of biogeochemical and hydrological processes in terrestrial systems. A combination of experiments, modelling and innovative observation technologies is used to bridge the gap between model, process and management scale. Its research contributes to the sustainable and resource-conserving use of soils and water and to the quantification of the effect of climate and land use change on terrestrial ecosystems.
The institute offers a competent and interdisciplinary working environment, as well as an excellent framework in the areas of experiments and modelling. Geoverbund ABC/J is the geoscientific network in the research region of Aachen-Bonn-Cologne/Jülich. The geoscientific institutes of RWTH Aachen University, the University of Bonn, the University of Cologne, and Forschungszentrum Jülich collaborate under its umbrella. The Geoverbund ABC/J initiates and supports research projects among its different partners, promotes scientific offspring and works towards easier access of scientific infrastructure.
The competence center High-Performance Scientific Computing in Terrestrial Systems (HPSC TerrSys) of the Geoverbund aims at the use of geoscientific models on HPSC systems and has established together with the Jülich Supercomputing Centre (JSC) the Simulation Laboratory Terrestrial Systems (SimLab TerrSys). SimLabs are the interface between the computational sciences communities and HPC-resources at the Jülich Supercomputing Centre, operating one of the most powerful HPC-infrastructures in Europe.
About your position
SimLab TerrSys conducts HPSC in geosciences and contributes to an improved understanding and prediction of geophysical, hydrological, meteorological and bio-geochemical processes in terrestrial systems. The focus is on the development and application of highly efficient, parallel modelling tools, especially fully coupled terrestrial simulation platforms from groundwater into the atmosphere. Moreover, SimLab TerrSys provides the geoscientists of the ABC/J region with scientific and technical support for their research activities by means of its supercomputers: www.hpsc-terrsys.de.
Your tasks in detail:
- coordination of and active participation in HPSC service and support, as well as research and development activities of SimLab TerrSys
- close collaboration with HPSC TerrSys, JSC, and other SimLabs in the Computational Science Division and with JSC`s cross-sectional groups (e.g., Performance Analysis, Application Optimization, Visualization)
- participation in ongoing HPC projects in the field of geosciences in Geoverbund ABC/J
- contribution to solutions for big data analysis in geosciences
- further development of the Terrestrial Systems Modelling Platform of Geoverbund ABC/J
- If you have any questions regarding technical issues, please contact the scientific director of HPSC TerrSys, Prof. Harrie-Jan Hendricks-Franssen (email@example.com).