The Geocomputation Unit at the Department of Geography of the University of Zurich (UZH) invites applications for a Lecturer (“Oberassistent*in”) position. The unit is one of the constituent elements of the GIScience Center in Zurich, which has an international reputation for research and teaching in Geographic Information Science. The appointment will initially be made for 2 years (starting 01 September 2020, or as soon as possible thereafter), with the possibility of extension and a permanent contract.
They are looking for a motivated researcher with a proven ability to carry out and publish independent research in a field relevant to their group’s core research strengths. These include Geographic Information Retrieval and the use of natural language, be it sourced from user generated content, unstructured text or citizen science. They aim to develop theoretically grounded, societally relevant approaches, which broaden access to geographic information and allow decision making to better account for diverse ways of understanding the world, with a particular focus on the natural environment.
The appointed candidate will:
- have completed/ or will soon complete a PhD in a relevant field;
- show evidence of publishing in international conferences and/ or journals;
- speak and write English fluently;
- be able to demonstrate excellent programming and analytical skills;
- have good interpersonal and team skills;
- be prepared to turn research ideas into funding applications;
- deliver teaching in GIScience and Geography to Bachelors and Masters students, including lectures, practicals and field trips;
- take part in the supervision and mentoring of MSc and PhD candidates;
- value and contribute to diversity and inclusion;
- be willing to learn and use German (if not already a German speaker) and
- contribute administratively to the operational and strategic management of the unit.