You will be full time employed as an R&D expert in projects related to land cover/land use monitoring. These will be projects for institutional clients like the European Commission, the European Space Agency, or UN bodies. Occasionally there could be commercial customers. This function requires senior skills in data science, image processing, artificial intelligence and coding in operational context. Prior knowledge of remote sensing data processing and land cover/land use monitoring would be an advantage. The tasks should be executed with high degree of independency, though in close collaboration with the internal and external team members. In VITO you will report on the progress of your work to the Team lead of the Vegetation monitoring team, outside VITO you will communicate on your work in meetings with clients or partners.
Concerning the projects, you will operate in an international setting and take initiative to liaise with project partners of different consortia. Good communication skills with project partners, end-users and stakeholders are needed. There is an opportunity to deploy your data science skills to other topics in VITO’s Remote Sensing unit.
VITO is looking for an expert profile, creative and highly motivated with the following qualifications:
- a Master or PhD degree in exact sciences, applied sciences, bioscience engineering or agronomy;
- sound programming skills in Python, R or C++;
- proven expertise in image processing, computer vision, statistics and big data analysis;
- expertise in remote sensing data processing and geo-information systems is an asset
- excellent writing and presentation skills in English as proven by a publication record;
- a strong interest to work in an international environment.