Within the Optical Imaging Competence Area (OI CA) of the Remote Sensing and Products Division (RSP), the Remote Sensing Scientist - Lightning Imagery provides scientific and technical expertise on the Meteosat Third Generation (MTG) Lightning Imager (LI) observations and their applications and supports the calibration and validation of EUMETSAT LI products.
- Support the development and operations of Level-1 and Level-2 data processing chains for the LI instrument on-board EUMETSAT MTG satellites, including all aspects relating to product generation and quality monitoring (calibration, verification and validation);
- Develop and maintain prototype software in order to improve the operational implementations of LI Level-1 and Level-2 data processing chains;
- Initiate and lead relevant scientific studies, including the management of external contracts;
- Support the definition of requirements for the realisation of future satellite products and services;
- Actively interact and cooperate with the operational user community of EUMETSAT satellite products and services and with international partners.
- University degree in remote sensing, physics, engineering or equivalent.
- Candidates must be able to work effectively in English and have some knowledge of French.
Skills and Experience
- In depth scientific knowledge of remote sensing physics;
- Demonstrated experience in developing and coding scientific application software in scientific programming languages (Python, Matlab, IDL etc.);
- Experience in management of scientific application software would be an advantage;
- Expertise on space-based optical instruments and experience in the processing of their data would be an advantage;
- A background in lightning physics and lightning signals analysis would be an advantage.
- Excellent analysis, synthesis and presentation skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and coordination capabilities; and a proven ability to apply these to the interactions within a team and between teams.