Deadline 3 June 2019
Organisation: Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources
The Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources (Bundesanstalt für Geowissenschaften und Rohstoffe, BGR) has a vacancy until 31.12.2021 (with option of extension for 12 months) for a Research Assistant.
The following tasks serve the qualification of a doctorate or to obtain a leading scientific activity.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conceptual development of a methodology for cross-scale regionalization of geospatial data, involving spatial and point data from (hydro) geology, soil science, geophysics, remote sensing etc.
- Incorporation and application of artificial intelligence approaches
- Development of a validation methodology
- Presentation and publication of the results
- University degree (master or equivalent) in natural sciences, IT, statistics or similar
- Experience in the application of machine learning methods (e.g., ANN, SVM, RF) or data science
- Experience in the preparation of training data for machine learning algorithms
- Very good knowledge in spatial statistical methods
- Very good knowledge of R and/or Matlab or similar
- Good command of English language (spoken and written, Level B2)
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Teamwork capability
Optional selection criteria:
- Knowledge in big data
- Knowledge in parallel computing
- Knowledge in the field of hydrogeology
- Knowledge in related fields (geophysics, remote sensing, hydrology, soil science)
- Knowledge in the field of regionalization of geoscientific data
- Experience in ArcGIS/QGIS and database applications connected with surface information
The place of work is Berlin. This post is classified in the 13 grade of the Collective Agreement for the Public Services (TVöD). Contract will be limited due to the Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz.
BGR is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and from severely handicapped persons. Part-time work is possible.
If you are interested in the vacancy, please send your detailed application including CV and copies of relevant certificates. Please refer to the keyword "Künstliche Intelligenz in der Hydrogeologie" and the reference number B 72/19.
Please submit your application until 03.06.2019 to:
Bundesanstalt für Geowissenschaften und Rohstoffe
- Personalreferat -
Stilleweg 2, 30655 Hannover
We ask you for your understanding that applications can only be sent back if a well addressed and well stamped envelope is attached.
More information about BGR can be found online at www.bgr.bund.de. For further information about this vacancy, you are welcome to contact Dr. Jörg Reichling at Joerg.Reichling@bgr.de or by phone +49/511/643-2366.