Organisation: European Center for Geodynamics and Seismology (ECGS)
PhD candidates, postdocs or scientists involved in SAR/InSAR processing and who want to learn the MasTer Toolbox (an automatic InSAR and ground deformation time series processing software) and DefVolc (a 3D inverse modelling software). See the details below for more explanations about these software.
The summer school is not open to commercial users.
A maximum of 20 participants will be accepted.
- by a email to firstname.lastname@example.org before 22 February,
- participants are invited to send their application with a short description of their background, current position, and motivation to apply to the summer school (max 1/2 page).
- the selection will be made according to the relevance of the applications
- selection will be closed as soon as the quota is reached.
Participation is free of charge.
In addition, the organisation will take in charge for the accepted participants, from Monday 22 to Friday 26 of May:
- the accommodation
- breakfasts and lunches
- an ice-breaking dinner
Participants are responsible for their travel, extra nights (if any) and dinners.
- participants must have at least some basic knowledge in Linux
- lectures will be given in English. Manual and documentations are written in English. Support will also be available in French during the hands-on exercices if needed.
- participants must bring a Mac or Linux computer. There is no strict minimal hardware required but InSAR and modelling are computers' ressources consuming… 8 Gb of RAM and 1Tb of disk would be fine for the school. However, the more RAM and hard disk space you have, the easiest and fastest it will be for you (envisage an external drive if needed).
- participants’s computers will be preferably connected to the Internet through wired connections. Bring an adaptor if needed (Mac users !).
For operating MasTer Toolbox:
- MasTer requires several external tools such as gdal, GMT, Python3, snaphu… For the sake of efficiency, and to ensure correct and complete installation, accepted participants will be provided with an installer prior to the summer school in order to prepare their computers. Their installation will be checked at the summer school.
- participants can bring a small set of images from a satellite and/or a site of their interest to perform MasTer hands-on exercises.
For operating the DefVolc pre and post-processor:
- a version of gmsh more recent than 2.10.1.
- matlab Runtime installed corresponding to matlab version R2022a (download link)
- applications open until 22 February 2023 or until the quota is reached
- decision: 3 March 2023
- Summer School: 22-26 May 2023
- Valérie Cayol (Laboratoire Magmas et Volcans, Clermont Ferrand)
- Dominique Derauw (Centre Spatial de Liège)
- Maxime Jaspard (European Center For Geodynamics and Seismology)
- Nicolas d’Oreye (European Center For Geodynamics and Seismology)
- Sergey Samsonov (Natural Resources Canada)
- Delphine Smittarello (European Center For Geodynamics and Seismology)
|Monday 22 May||AM: arrival and welcome of the participants|
|PM: introduction to InSAR and MasTer Engine; MasTer Toolbox installation on participant’s computers|
|Tuesday 23 May||AM: MasTer Toolbox : architecture, DEM, masks, parameters and processing of individual interferograms|
|PM: MasTer Toolbox : InSAR mass processing ; MSBAS ground deformation time series processing ; time series of amplitude images processing Ice breaking dinner|
|Wednesday 24 May||AM: MasTer Toolbox : optimised pair selection ; automation using cron jobs ; data plot and manipulation|
|PM: MasTer Toolbox : web page (share/display results) and data manipulation (plots and usage with QGIS)|
|Thursday 25 May||AM: Hands-on exercises with images of interest to the participant or provided data|
|PM: Deformation modelling using DEFVOLC software and/or hands-on exercices|
|Friday 26 May||AM: Deformation modelling using DEFVOLC software and/or hands-on exercices|
- participants will be provided a full version of the MasTer Toolbox, as well as its installer and manual
- participants will be granted an access to a GitHub repository where they will be able to get further updates about MasTer Toolbox.
- participants will be provided with a compiled version of the software required to run the DefVolc pre and post-processor.
Feel free to send any question to the following address: email@example.com