Within the Passive Microwave and Radio Occultation Competence Area (PMRO-CA), the Passive Microwave Remote Sensing Scientist will support the scientific development, validation and quality monitoring of products extracted from observations from passive microwave imagers and sounders of EUMETSAT and partners' satellites, with initial focus on the Microwave Imager (MWI) of the EUMETSAT Polar System—Second Generation currently under development.
- Acquire knowledge specific to EUMETSAT's passive microwave imaging and sounding instruments through participation in relevant instrument functional chain teams, and maintain scientific ownership of the key design features of the MWI instrument and of the MWI mission and applications;
- Generate and refine processing algorithms and product specifications for the processing chains, including definition of file formats and auxiliary data streams;
- Prototype product generation functions, generate and analyse performance budgets, and prepare representative test datasets for verification and validation purposes;
- Develop instrument-specific calibration and validation plans;
- Instigate and support the definition of external studies and the assessment of their results;
- Contribute to ground segment and/or instrument chain reviews, progress and technical meetings;
- Ensure the continued evolution of a state-of-the art scientific basis for the extraction of products from EUMETSAT passive microwave instruments;
- Support interactions with the world-wide user community on the operational exploitation of passive microwave measurements from EUMETSAT's and partners' missions.