Since 2016, EuroSDR has recognised contemporary PhD theses that have significantly contributed to the development of geoinformation science in the context of national mapping and cadastral agencies (NMCAs). In order to enhance collaboration between European academia and NMCAs, as well as to engage young scientists in its research endeavours, EuroSDR is pleased to announce its 2019 competition: 2019 EuroSDR Award for the best PhD thesis related to geoinformation science.
In order to be eligible, a PhD thesis should have been successfully defended in the period from January 2018 to August 2019. The PhD topic should be related to one or more of the research areas covered by the EuroSDR commissions (see http://www.eurosdr.net). The call is restricted to applicants that completed their PhD study in Europe.
Applications should consist of:
- A cover letter describing the main contribution/impact of the research contained in the thesis from a NMCA perspective (up to 300 words in English);
- A PDF copy of the successfully defended thesis (in any European language);
- An extended abstract of the thesis (1 000 – 1 500 words in English);
- A certificate evidencing the date of the successful PhD defence;
- Independent reviews of the thesis (if available, for example from the thesis examiners);
- Curriculum Vitae of the applicant;
- A video focused on the scientific content of the thesis (optional, max. 3 min. in English).
Though it is optional, the applicants are strongly encouraged to provide a short video presentation giving an overview on the objectives, methods, main findings and scientific impact of their thesis.
All application material must be sent to the EuroSDR secretariat to arrive no later than 30th August, 2019. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The submitted application material will be evaluated by a committee approved by the EuroSDR Board of Delegates. Notification of the selected thesis will be issued by 4th October, 2019.
The author of the successful PhD thesis will receive an award of 500 EUR and be invited to present his/her work at the 135th EuroSDR Board of Delegates meeting, to be held in Cyprus from 13th to 15th November, 2019.