Organisation: Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST)
About the company
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
About the position
To strengthen its activities in Earth Observation (EO) applications, LIST is offering a permanent position for an EO Applications engineer. In collaboration with the unit's remote sensing and numerical modelling scientists, she/he will contribute to the design or advancement of EO-based environmental applications across a wide range of topics (e.g., natural disasters such as floods and droughts, water resources management, maritime surveillance, food security, precision agriculture, natural resource management, etc.).
The successful candidate will contribute to RDI projects by:
- Integrating and implementing scientific algorithms on high performance and distributed computing infrastructures to support the development of operational Earth Observation applications.
- Contributing to the improvement / optimization and performance analysis of Earth Observation algorithms implemented in Cloud environments.
- Contributing to software development, integration, testing and deployment.
- Integrating scientific algorithms (including image processing algorithms and numerical models) on high performance and distributed computing infrastructures to support the development of operational Earth Observation applications.
- Handling and processing of big data sets.
- Acting as the reference point for technical decisions related to the design and evolution of Earth Observation (and drone) applications.
- Fixing bugs, or improve existing code when required.
- Maintaining documentation of the developed code, according to the institute's standards.
- Maintaining state-of-the-art expertise in the field of Earth Observation operational platforms.
- Contributing to the development of partnerships and networks at national and international levels.
- Contributing to the technical content of new research proposals and commercialisation projects.
Moreover, the successful candidate will contribute to the dissemination, valorisation and transfer of RDI results through:
- Software licensing.
- Participation in the drafting of technical reports, scientific articles, patents and inventions.
- Participation in the implementation of technological solutions (proof-of-concepts, prototypes).