Organisation: ESA Climate Office
Early-career researchers are invited to submit project proposals to the 2022 CCI fellowship call to implement leading-edge research that contributes to the aim of the Climate Change Initiative (CCI) programme.
To date, the CCI has funded 27 research fellowships to improve and exploit ECV products. Successful research projects will make use of ESA data and Earth Observation assets and be undertaken over a two-year period. The ceiling price of €110000 per project (with a minimum of 30% contribution from their Host Organisation).
- The call opens on 21st November 2022
- Submission deadline on 31st January 2023
- Notification to applicants by mid-March 2023
- Intended start of successful candidates in April - June 2023
Candidates shall propose a two-year research plan, in the following programmatic areas:
- Exploitation of the Climate Change Initiative Essential Climate Variables to improve our understanding of carbon, water and energy cycles and investigate the long-term response of our climate system.
- Cross-ECV research topics ranging from (but not exclusive to) teleconnections, tipping points, ice-ocean-atmosphere interactions, ocean surface currents, sea level budget closure, atmospheric trace gases, land-atmosphere exchange, terrestrial hydrology and human health.
- Topics related to the exploitation of CCI ECVs in the context of CMIP, for example systematic observations based forcing datasets, model evaluation for process understanding, parameterization development, constraints on water and energy cycles, model benchmarking, or any aspect of the interface between climate models and observations.
- Projects should also aim to improve interactions between CCI community members and other laboratories/universities involved in climate research activities.