Following its mission to promote international development and share knowledge, the International Astronautical Federation (IAF) and its member the Norwegian Space Agency (NOSA) are pleased to announce that the 2023 Global Space Conference on Climate Change (GLOC 2023) will be taking place in Oslo, Norway on 23 – 25 May 2023. GLOC 2023 will contribute to the global efforts to better understand and battle climate change through the use of space-based services and applications. First conference of its kind, GLOC 2023 is designed to encourage the sharing of programmatic, technical and policy information, as well as collaborative solutions, challenges, lessons learnt, and paths forward among all nations.
GLOC 2023 will focus on the theme "Fire and Ice – Space for Climate Action" and will address various topics of interest in relation to space and climate change with a specific focus on:
- Climate change impacts on the environment
- Applications and services driven by climate change
- Impacts of a changing climate on policy and law
- Commercial opportunities created by a changing climate
- Present and future international collaboration on space missions related to climate change
- Social, communications, economic and cultural dimensions of environmental change
The conference programme is designed to bring together the international community, including senior representatives of the major space agencies, industries, governments, policy makers, academia and NGOs, as well as representatives of non-space sectors involved in the climate change debate. These leaders in the field will converge in Oslo, Norway to present results, exchange ideas, debate roadmaps, and discuss the future opportunities provided by space activities to contribute to the global climate change mitigation efforts.