As a valuable source of information, satellite and airborne imagery is destined to an even greater use in the future. The national research programme for Earth observation STEREO I explored the following thematic fields:
More than fifty projects were carried out by multidisciplinary teams in numerous domains, from pure theory to the most concrete applications.
Duration of the research: 2001-2006
- Maintaining and expanding the Belgian scientific expertise;
- Development of operational products and services;
- User support;
- Valorisation and promotion of Belgian know-how.
The programme fitted within the framework of the overall Belgian research strategy for remote sensing which aims at:
- Generalising use of satellite data as a source of information;
- Contributing simultaneously to infrastructure, to data support and data use;
- Introducing of remote sensing in operational services;
- Grouping researchers into poles of expertise of international standing.
- The poles of expertise to be developed within the programme are:
- Local vegetation and associated parameters/agriculture;
- Cartography and land management;
- Study of coastal regions.