Context and objectives
The project aims at the investigation of land-cover changes in Northwest China, the region of five provinces Shaanxi, Gansu, Ningxia, Qinghai and Xinjiang, and the design of a dynamic monitoring system integrating remote sensing techniques as well as other information. The objectives of this project are :
- to develop a multi-temporal data set of biophysical characteristics of the entire region at medium resolution (1 km²) as the basis for a dynamic monitoring system in relation to land-cover changes and environmental issues;
- to investigate at this coarse level major changes in land-cover during the last decade and to identify critical sites or « hot spots »;
- to analyse the driving forces of land-cover change within two or three critical sites;
- to develop predictive models of the processes of land-cover change for these sites;
- to prototype a regional scale, dynamic monitoring system for land-cover change based on a combination of VEGETATION data and high spatial resolution data.
The project is part of an international research programme on Remote Sensing Fundamental Ecological Environment Investigation and Dynamic Monitoring System in Northwest China.
Expected scientific results
|Project leader(s):||UCL - Georges Lemaître Centre for Earth and Climate Research|