Context and objectives
With the specific goal of promotion of image processing algorithms and valorisation of research results of Belgian scientists, the objective of the LUMOS project is to transform STEREO II algorithms into user- friendly plugins (written in Python) for the common open-source environment QGIS. This environment is supported by a large part of the remote sensing community and has many benefits (see below). Tools will be developed in such a way it serves users at three different levels:
- Thematic user (user friendly graphical user interface (GUI) with standard settings);
- Expert user (user friendly GUI with (expert) options to vary the settings and to create individualized workflows in the QGIS Model Builder using LUMOS plug-ins);
- Developer (well documented code to tweak).
These tools will be accompanied by a manual and demos/examples/exercises using a standardized documentation scheme. The tools and manuals will be made available via a common STEREO portal/website. Through this portal, Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) will be given appropriate attention. This project will also result in a standard protocol (with reference to documenting codes, manuals, demo datasets, etc.) that would allow future algorithms developed under the STEREO umbrella to more easily translate into QGIS plug-ins. These modalities for the STEREO software tools were defined through active consultation of the Belgian remote sensing community.
Expected scientific results
We are planning to attend the FOSS4G conferences to present the progress and outcome of the toolbox. The Belgian EO community will be reached through the BELSPO conferences and a dedicated workshop. Scientific papers are not the primary goal but can be considered if opportunities arise and time allows.
Expected products and services
- A set of user-friendly, open-source QGIS plugins (written and documented in Python), accompanied by uniform user manuals, test data and exercises, disseminated through the BELSPO portal.
- Specifications for future software developers under STEREO programs.
- A dedicated workshop to launch and demonstrate the STEREO toolset to the users.
Tools will be written in such a way that they can serve users at three different levels:
- Thematic user: User friendly GUI with standard settings
- Expert user: User friendly GUI with (expert) options
- Developer: Well documented code to tweak