This workshop aims to raise awareness on the possibilities offered by the EU Space Programme to innovate and thus maximising effectiveness in the domain of disaster risk management. Hands-on demonstrations of national capabilities enabled by satellite data will create a common understanding among national stakeholders while further promoting their use and boosting a wider uptake. This event, is finally a unique opportunity for local stakeholders to meet, discuss and exchange about best practices and sector specific needs.
The event is part of a series of national workshops to discuss with national users the challenges faced in the integration of satellite-based services, if any, as well as the benefits appreciated. The purpose is twofold. On one hand, to raise awareness on the existing operational satellite-based services, especially how they can be integrated into daily workflows and translated into actionable information. On the other hand, develop a roadmap to smoothen the integration path of satellite-based services by providing decision makers and EU Institutions feedback on the users’ needs and challenges.
The participants will be challenged to move from the European to the national perspective and to discuss ways to improve data accessibility for disaster management.
- Raise awareness among decision makers about satellite applications during the different phases of disaster management;
- Discuss methods to improve accessibility to satellite-based services for disaster management;
- Collect feedback from stakeholders on user needs and experiences in the integration of satellite-based services for disaster management;
- Define policy recommendations, both at national and institutional level;
- Provide the basis for a roadmap to smoothen the integration path of satellite-based services.