Running from 10 oktober to 13 oktober 2023
Organisation: GEO Biodiversity Observation Network (GEO BON)
The Global Conference on Biodiversity and Monitoring is organized by GEO BON and its partners between 10-13 October 2023 in Montreal, Canada.
One year after COP15 of the UN CBD and the landmark agreement of a Global Biodiversity Framework, the GEO BON global conference will focus on the grand challenge of ‘Monitoring Biodiversity for Action’. A central theme will be the development of best practices and new technologies for biodiversity observations and monitoring to support transformative policy and conservation action.
The conference will offer a venue for sharing and exchanging scientific and traditional knowledge related to biodiversity change, from genes to ecosystems; the associated contributions to people, across all sectors of society; and its conservation, sustainable use and shared benefits.
The GEO BON team invites researchers, policy-makers, Indigenous peoples and local communities, conservation organizations, businesses and others in the financial sector to join them in Montreal.
Abstracts for talks and posters are welcome on the following themes:
- Building a global biodiversity observing system (GBiOS)
- Essential Biodiversity and Ecosystem Service Variables
- Enabling Biodiversity Observation Networks
- Community-based monitoring and traditional knowledge
- Detection and attribution of biodiversity change
- Ecosystem accounting
- Artificial Intelligence for biodiversity change
- Mainstreaming biodiversity change into policy and practice
- Indicators for the targets of the Global Biodiversity Framework of the UN CBD
- Biodiversity indicators for businesses
- Linking monitoring for biodiversity and climate actions
- Communicating biodiversity change across society