Context and objectives
Studying the risks related to urbanization requires precise geodata and models. Yearly and dynamic (night - day, week day - weekend) population maps and up-to-date LULC data can improve the assessment of impacts related to environmental hazards.
This shared cost project reinforces the operational SmartPop project financed by ISSeP. Its two main objectives are
- To update and improve existing LULC maps using remote sensing;
- To extend the Constrained Cellular-Automata (CA) model (White & Engelen) with a city level.
The outputs can be used as decision-support tools by authorities dealing with spatial planning and environmental monitoring.
Expected scientific results
- An operational LC and LU mapping frameworks,
- Dasymetric and dynamic population mapping protocols,
- A successful application of the CCA-based LU model to Wallonia including a new city-level and
- Enhanced risk analysis.
Expected products and services
SmartPop intends to produce updated LULC maps, multi-temporal population maps and simulated LU maps to enhance the risk assessment in Wallonia. All results will be published as geoservices or mapping protocols.
The defined end-users are European (EEA, JRC, CE), national, regional (SPW, OIP) and local (cities) authorities active in environmental monitoring and spatial planning.
|Project leader(s):||ISSeP (Institut Scientifique de Service Public)|